Hypersensitivity

 

Many toxins can cause hypersensitivity which, in turn, causes reactions when faced with these chemicals, as well as others.

One of the serious health issues linked to hypersensitivity is Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), an environmental disease which is on the increase. People that suffer from a severe form can experience adverse symptoms from inhaling chemicals emitted from fragrances, air fresheners, cleaning products, personal care products, odour neutralisers, paints, solvents and pesticides, often at relatively low levels of concentration. Many substances can cause these effects including formaldehyde, xylene, glycol ethers, methylene chlorine, trichloroethane and toluene diisocyanate (TDI).

Many MCS sufferers have had to make sure their homes are free of many items which can emit toxins as they are “living detectors” of these chemicals.

Often, the disease stems from an intensive exposure to insecticides or solvents and/or a gradual build-up of toxins in the body from various sources until the body is no longer able to tolerate these toxins.

It is not uncommon for someone with MCS to also suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), fibromyalgia, asthma or severe allergies.

As well as MCS sufferers, there are also a large percentage of people who, although they do not have this disease, do show hypersensitivity to certain products or chemicals. Asthmatics, for example, are often affected by perfumed products and some people may suffer from migraines caused by the inhalation of air fresheners, to name but a few.

A common way hypersensitivity can manifest itself, apart from MCS, is pneumonitis. This can be caused by many pollutants, many of which are found in our homes: pyrethrins or pyrethroids, chlorine, epoxy resins, isocynates, heavy metals, mercury, cadmium, zinc, nickel, chromium, arsenic, aluminium, trimethyl anhydride etc.

 

Botón Ver referencias